NEW YORK CITY
Where else can you find yourself surrounded deeply in all of the Arts – visual, performing, music and many other creative endeavors?
Join us May 15-18, 2017 as we explore the many facets of creative expression in the Big Apple, focusing particularly on ways in which the Arts can be integrated into faith communities.
Bring your curiosity (and your walking shoes) for some of the following experiences:
(Specific events and venues may change as plans continue to develop)
- Exploring the biblical history of the arts and the use of individual artistic gifts in a ministry setting in partnership with Marble Collegiate Church
- Worship together through music in jazz vespers.
- Central Park and its prolific works of sculpture and inspiring venues.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art and its vast collections of works in the visual arts
- Attending a performance of The Most Reluctant Convert, C.S. Lewis’ journey from atheism to faith at the Fellowship for The Performing Arts, followed by a Q&A session with the production team.
- Reflections on architecture and design at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, The Cloisters, and Riverside Church
- Designing experiences with an emotional impact at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum
All of the experiences will involve aspects of presentation, observation, and reflection, guided by Learn By Going staff or on-site subject experts.
We will be staying at the conveniently located Salisbury Hotel in Midtown Manhattan.
Learn By Going 2017 Faith & The Arts is designed to be as simple and economical as possible. Here are the costs you should be prepared to cover out of pocket:
- Travel to and from the Salisbury Hotel in New York City
- Evening meals
- Souvenirs and personal items
$1,495 — Single Participant – Shared Suite, choose a roommate or have one assigned
$1,975 — Single Participant – Private Suite
included in the price:
Three Nights at the Salisbury Hotel
Full Breakfast for 3 Days
Tickets for all museums, venues, and scheduled performances
Lunches for 3 Days
All Learning Sessions and Materials
Our Staff for
New York 2017 – Faith & The Arts
Learn By Going is Jay’s brainchild, born out of the philosophy that immersive learning opportunities should occur over an entire lifetime. Why should awesome life changing experiences be limited to college internships and alternative Spring breaks?
Mark Wingfield has a passion for using the arts to learn about faith. As a pastor, he coordinates an ongoing series of visual arts exhibitions and frequently incorporates the visual and performing arts in his teaching and writing. In collaboration with Jay Lynn, he has conceived this conference as a means to help pastors and lay leaders see whispers of spiritual inspiration and beauty in architecture, sculpture, painting, landscaping, painting and sacred remembrance. Mark recently gave a TED Talk in Charlottesville, Va., and is a regular columnist for Baptist News Global.